Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Windows Movie Maker Error

Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again






















Getting the dreaded Windows Movie Maker Error?:

"Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again."

I received this error so many times in Windows Movie Maker, I wanted to throw my PC out of the window. I checked all over the Internet for a resolution to this aggravating problem to no avail, until I got fed up and decided to find a solution or a workaround myself.

When receiving the error: "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location...", The problem turns out to be an issue with the video you are trying to create from. An error within the video file itself is keeping Windows Movie Maker from processing the file and therefore you cannot finish your movie file.

The solution or workaround I found was to re-encode the video file you are using in your movie and then make your movie using the re-encoded file. The easiest way I found was to use WinFF.


The following is how I re-encode the video file to make it work in Windows Movie Maker:


HostMantis - Affordable Web Hosting - Only $2.49 a month!




- Download and install WinFF

- Open WinFF, click the "Add" button and choose the video file that is giving the problem making your Movie.

- In "Output Details":
for "Convert To..." choose "Microsoft"
for "Device Preset" choose "WMV2 Generic"
for "Output Folder" choose a location different than the location the file is currently.

- Click "Convert" button.

Now you should be able to import this new re-encoded video file into your movie in Windows Movie Maker and make your movie without getting that dreaded error.

Note: With some files you may need to do this twice. If after doing the steps above, the error persists, do the same steps as mentioned above to the new file. Choose a new saving location when re-encoding the new file again.

Thanks for reading and have fun with Windows Movie Maker.




23 comments:

  1. I also get this problem, but only when I've got a file that has videos from two separate collectons. If I use a video from just one collection, it works fine. Is there any way to upload my videos into just one collection? Also, why is it that I import a video file that is all in one piece, and yet when it arrives in Windows Movie Maker its chopped into little bits, sometimes as little as 1 second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried making a movie from more than one collection, so I'm not sure. I'll need to try it and figure it out. The reason Movie Maker splits up your video is because it is designed to detect segments in the video or what it feels is segments in the video. It is supposed to make it easier for editing purposes, but sometimes it's kind of useless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this, but when I convert it, there is no converted file in the output folder. What has happened?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will this work for picutes imported as well. help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niolai, I haven't had that problem happen to me. Are you sure the conversion is completing successfully? If it is, I would try to save to a different folder and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopinjon, Pictures should not be causing this issue. Are the movies you are making only containing pictures and still causing this error?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a kagillion! Much abliged. Unfortunately, we all only find your solution after the hour or three we spend on the first video. Here's 'me'. Here's my mistakes. Here's 'me' learning from my mistakes.

    --Dave Charbonneau
    www.MyCrowEnterprise.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! But, is there a way to put these files in the already completed movie project? I can't do my movie over, it's too complex; and when I browse for the missing files, it won't let me select the converted wmv's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just tried using the same program to convert the video clips into MS-Compatible AVI - still no luck. WMM thinks it's an unsuitable match.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for so many comments. I set up the exact same folders as the original, uncompatible movie file, and instead put in the new MS-Compatible one. It accepts it as a match, but now instead gives me the infamous "video could not be saved" error, same as before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WMM needs all the clips in the collection to be the SAME format. If the majority of the clips you are editing are .avi files, convert the others to .avi. If all the clips are of the same format, you should be able to save the edit master to your computer...and no more dreaded yellow exclamation point!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this message plenty of times and I'm ready to smash my computer. This problem doesn't only work for movies, but works with everything else I have in it. I've tried making a video with pictures I took on my vacation and it still doesn't work. It simply won't save. I don't know what to do. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of all the ways I've tried to fix it, this was the only way that worked for me!!! DUDE. I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So you have to reconvert and make the whole movie over again, and then if that does work, do that AGAIN? Are you kidding me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. it doesn't work... man... i tired so many bloody times...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got it to work. Has to be converted to WMV2 Generic with the WinFF program. WMV for web will not work. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unfortunately, your work around doesn't work if you're using images for frames of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love u...thanks for help...i was dying for this error since morning, gr8 job yaar...u r too gud...i cant express my happiness....well hav a gr8 day..

    ReplyDelete
  20. @brandon - The fix should work regardless of whether or not you are adding images to your movie. Convert using wmv2 generic and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the same problem as Nicolai, And I've tried to save it in different folders and everything.
    After that "built on Apr 28 2009 04:04:42, gcc: 4.2.4" -text comes a message which says:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Meh\Desktop\Nimetonn.MSWMM: no such file or directory
    C:\Program Files\WinFF>pause
    Press any key to continue . . .

    What should I do?

    ReplyDelete